Sunday, December 9, 2007

Letter to the Editor: Respect, love, and kindness

ED? YOU WANT TO PREACH PRAYERS, LOVE AND KINDNESS NOW? NO THANKS.. WEVE SEEN THE REAL SIDE OF YOU.. OBVIOUSLY YOU DIDN'T LEARN MUCH GROWING UP HERE!


mv- Monday December 10, 2007

NOW that the Unity March is over, I want to share my thoughts with my friends and critics on why I supported this march. But before I do, I want to tell you that I am human and am prone to error, that I don’t have all the answers, and that I will continue to make mistakes. But I have learned through trial and error that I am at my best when I choose to listen not only with my head, but also with my heart. I have been forewarned that by coming out against Public Law 15-108, my business will suffer severely.
I see it differently. Any person who would want to stop doing business with me because of our differences of opinion should not be doing business with me in the first place. If I can respect other people’s opposing views, then shouldn’t mine be respected as well?
Rik and Janel Villegas wrote a beautiful article on respect, its importance in our culture, and how respect is attained. I would like to quote part of what they said: “True leaders earn the respect of others by giving back respect. Tyrants and dictators demand the respect of others without necessarily reciprocating that respect back to their subjects. Progression through oppression creates depression; whereas, more can be acquired if people are inspired by their desires.”
I grew up on Saipan, having lived here since I was four years old. Definitely this is my home. I spent a few years away at college and all the while I was gone I counted the days until I could return to my home here on Saipan. My core values and beliefs are more local than anything else I know: I believe in the taotaomona; I have visited and have been healed by a suruhanu; I remember to fangingi not only my wife’s parents and uncles and aunties, but all of our elders. I also know the importance of respecting our elders, something that is so important in our culture. But showing respect does not require that I agree with all of my elders on all counts. If we are to truly make progress here in the CNMI, we need to be able to stand up for what we believe in, but to do it in a way that is not offensive.
When we write letters to the editor that chastise and castigate people, what are we really accomplishing? Yes, I am a hypocrite, because I have done the very thing I am criticizing right now. Indeed, I am a slow learner, but I have finally realized that this is how we lose respect while fomenting anger and hostility — even hatred. We attack each other instead of concentrating on the issues at hand. When you insult a congressman and say that he is an idiot or that he is feeble-minded, it not only hurts him, but it also hurts his family. If someone insulted your father, how would that make you feel? Please do not misconstrue what I am trying to say. I am not defending our leaders’ decisions as I disagree with them on many issues and let them know it. But I seriously doubt they will ever listen to me if I choose to attack them on a personal level.
In a nutshell, what I am trying to say is, before you write your next letter to the editor about a pressing issue or get into a heated debate with someone, please remember to write or speak with respect, love, and kindness. Your words will carry more weight, and your adversary may reciprocate with the same mutual respect. But if he or she doesn’t reciprocate, wouldn’t you feel better that you had taken the higher road and replaced insults with intelligent ideas?
I suppose I have digressed and should get back to why I supported the Unity March. I supported this march because it was a peaceful assembly that brought people together to show their discontent with Public Law 15-108. But it is far greater than just that. It was democracy at its finest hour. It was about exercising our right to speak freely, openly, and civilly about a labor law we strongly oppose.
This long and lengthy labor law is deeply flawed and is certain to bring about an abundance of labor lawsuits. I believe the people who stand to benefit the most from Public Law 15-108 are attorneys practicing labor law. Some have even begun to refer to this law as the Labor Attorneys Employment Act of 2007. Is that what we really want? Even more litigation? Aren’t we already the most litigious society in the entire Pacific Ocean? Is this the kind of progress we’re yearning for and striving to achieve?
I absolutely support the fundamental purpose of this law, which is that “citizens and permanent residents be given maximum opportunity for employment in the public and private sectors of the economy.” However, I believe the law’s means of achieving this worthy goal are flawed.
I have spoken at great length about respect. So I feel I should conclude by speaking of two people whom I have the greatest respect for — my parents. I love them both dearly, and thank them for their unconditional love. No matter how many times I have disappointed them or failed them, I thank them for not giving up on me. They sacrificed so much for their children, and even though we are all grown up now, they still continue to watch over us and guide us. My parents are both Christians and recently e-mailed me something that I believe is fitting and timely with regard to our Unity March: “When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who resides with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.” — Leviticus 19: 33-34.
Whether you are Christian or not, I believe this is a powerful and inspirational passage and words that we should all live by. And whether you are a citizen or non-citizen, I will treat you with respect, love, and kindness. All I ask it that you do the same in return.
May God bless the CNMI.
EDWIN PROPST
President
Pacific Digital Media

No comments: